Nothing smells more like summer than when the barbecue is going. The smell just screams sun, fun, friends and family and maybe even a summer drink or two! ;) But how much better does it get than making your own food from scratch to cook on the barbecue rather than buying pre-packaged from the store?
We are here to talk about making homemade hamburger patties.
Hamburgers are an American staple and are King of the grill. And I have the most mouth-watering, easy homemade hamburger recipe for making the absolute best homemade hamburger patties. Why have flavorless burgers from the store when you can have savory, juicy burgers that completely melt in your mouth with every flavorful bite, made from scratch?
These babies are ready to bring your barbecue game to top-notch and will impress all of your summer guests.
Making hamburger patties from scratch is something that is very easy and simple to do, and is always so appreciated by the ones who (luckily) get to eat them. The difference when eating homemade hamburgers is phenomenal, and you can even make these hamburger patties from scratch ahead of time!
Here is a simple recipe for making easy, juicy homemade hamburger patties
Watch our homemade hamburger video tutorial below on our YouTube channel. It will give you an idea of the perfect consistency you are going for with your hamburger patties and also what size of patty you will be making. And we would love it if you hit subscribe while you're there ;)
1. Mince onion for hamburgers.
2. Finely mince garlic, put both into a bowl.
3. Mix together by hand with the pork and beef until hamburger meat is well-blended.
4. Add hamburger spices: garlic powder, onion powder, onion soup mix, and salt and pepper (I just add by feel, maybe 1/4 tsp each if you are looking for a measurement) and ketchup.
5. Mix hamburger meat mixture by hand until blended.
6. This step is optional: To infuse the flavors of your hamburger meat, put some saran wrap or tinfoil over the bowl and put into the fridge for anywhere between 3-6 hours.
You could additionally add some extra hamburger spices, and one I really like is Emeril's BAM Burger spice, which you can find on Amazon right here for a super great price. It's a great one to have on hand!
7. Take homemade hamburger meat out of the fridge and mix in the egg with the meat using your hands and blend thoroughly. It should be quite a wet mixture by now.
8. Add breadcrumbs to hamburger mixture, about 3 tbsp. at a time and blend each time by hand until it no longer feels wet. You want to feel confident the hamburger meat will hold the shape of a homemade hamburger patty.
If you don't have breadcrumbs on hand, you can use crackers in your hamburger patties, just take about 10-20 crackers (I like soda crackers for doing this), place them in a ziplock bag and roll them with a rolling pin to crush and add to hamburger mixture.
9. Form into hamburger patties. I like to make my homemade hamburger patties large and flat in the middle because I find as they cook, they tend to shrink around the edges and plump up in the middle, and I don't like my homemade hamburger patty shaped like an uneven puck when it comes off the grill!
10. Grill homemade hamburger patties on a hot barbecue until the internal temperature reaches 160F and then put cheese on the top for 3 minutes before taking hamburgers off the grill.
Depending on your barbecue and how hot you like to have it, I would say it takes about 20-25 mins to cook these homemade hamburger patties, but you can be sure by checking with a meat thermometer.
There are a few things in this recipe that make these homemade hamburger patties from scratch both juicy and full of flavor. Adding pork to homemade hamburger patties makes for a juicy hamburger, and adding that combination of spices from our recipe and letting them infuse into the meat over hours in the fridge makes for a very flavorful, juicy hamburger.
If you are looking for an awesome little tool to have around the barbecue, this handy Burger Press from Amazon will have you making homemade hamburgers quickly and easily! (It also makes a fantastic gift idea for Father's Day or a birthday by the way!)
Check the price on Amazon here.
And if you are looking for an amazing little barbecue to bring with you to the park, beach or on a camping adventure, the best out there are made by Weber. They have little charcoal grill or gas grill.
I have the Weber gas grill (this one exactly from Amazon) and have nothing but GREAT things to say about it. The reviews on Amazon speak for themselves as well, they are really amazing.
Check price of the same Weber grill on Amazon here.
Want a great, easy side dish? Our famous homemade coleslaw recipe is SUPER easy to make and goes really well with homemade hamburgers. I get asked for this recipe often:
We love listening to a good audio book while we are cooking for the family. If this is something you would like to try, we are giving away a FREE 30 day audible trial to our readers! And you are completely welcome to cancel before your 30 days is over! So try it, have a listen to whichever book your heart desires for free, on us :)
If you liked this homemade hamburger patties recipe and found it to be easy and great, be sure to PIN it now so you can find it again later! Thanks, we would appreciate that!
Have a tasty day!
Comments will be approved before showing up.