When there is a special occasion coming up, you can buy someone a gift, or personalize one when you make it yourself. The following is a tutorial for hand-painting and personalizing a ceramic terra cotta pot for that special someone.
In our case, this was for my daughter's special kindergarten teacher at the end of the school year. But, this would make a fantastic gift anytime for a teacher, a gardener, a mom, dad or grandparent, or just someone who loves flowers and plants!
1. Tape off the area you want to write on with painters tape. This is especially useful if you have a little one like I did making this for somebody. I sectioned off each word to make sure it was spaced properly for her writing.
2. Use a pencil to write out each word. I say a pencil because if you make a mistake, you can erase it just like you would on paper!
3. Use your fine tip paint brush and paint over each word with your white Golden Fluid acrylic paint. You may need to go over each word twice in some areas. Let the paint dry for a few hours.
4. Once your paint dries, you can use the varnish spray to seal the words. This step is optional and is totally up to you, but it would ensure the words don't flake off over time with weather exposure. Please keep in mind, this is pretty foul-smelling so head outside to spray! Also, let cure for at least 24 hours before adding soil or flowers, and only spray the outside of the pot.
5. Choose the flowers, herbs or vegetables you would like to add to the pot! I chose some yellow Gaillardias which are in the sunflower family. This was a gift for a teacher so I thought yellow was appropriate :)
6. Put your flowers in the pot and fill in the sides and spaces with potting soil and give them a bit of water.
7. Embellish your flower pot with any accents you think would look nice! I love adding a bit of sparkle to things, so this gold sparkly butterfly was just perfect. You can add things such as little fairy ornaments, self-watering bulbs, solar lights (those ones are my fave design and are a warm white light!) or anything thing else (all the ones we mentioned were found on Amazon)!
We found some other pretty cute accessories on Amazon right here if you want to get some ideas!
Voila! What a beautiful DIY gift for someone!! We gave this to a kindergarten teacher in our lives. You can get more teacher gift ideas in our article, Best Gift Ideas for Teachers. We also think this would make an amazing gift for a gardener! But again, you could head over to our article Best Gifts For Gardeners too!
We also have a variety of our own really cute cards you can print right from your printer, including thank you printables, Mother's Day cards and more! Be sure to have a look at our super cute selection.
We hope you enjoyed reading about DIY hand-painted ceramic and terra cotta pots and hope we have sparked some creativity and ideas for you! Be sure to PIN this article to your crafty Pinterest board for future reference. We'd appreciate that!
Have a fruitful day :)
Comments will be approved before showing up.