Here is the best broccoli soup recipe from scratch. Broccoli cheddar soup is a favorite of many home cooks. If you love ordering this tasty soup at restaurants when you see it on the menu, then you will also love just how EASY (and how much better) it is to make broccoli cheddar soup from scratch. You are going to love this broccoli cheddar soup recipe! You don't even realize just how amazing broccoli cheddar soup can be until you make it from scratch, using fresh vegetables. What a difference!
1. You are going to start this broccoli cheddar soup recipe by dicing the onions and garlic and saute on low heat with some oil. You want to get them to the point where they are translucent and sweeten up! Just keep it low so your garlic does not brown and burn. Burnt garlic does not add good flavor to broccoli cheddar soup! lol
2. In a separate pot, you are going to make a roux! A roux is a mixture of butter brought to a low boil, with flour added. The butter cooks the flour and this becomes a base for another liquid to be added: typically stock or milk. A roux is used to thicken a base for soups and sauces and is very versatile in the flavors it can carry!
Add 5 tbsp of butter to a pot and bring to a low boil.
3. Add flour to the hot butter and whisk together. The butter will cook the flour, allow this to cook for about 4 minutes.
4. Slowly add the half and half milk. Add just a little, about a half a cup, and whisk. I need to add that a whisk is really essential in making a roux. I'm sure it can be done with a fork, but I highly suggest having a whisk around! You can check out this trusted whisk by OXO on Amazon here which is a brand we trust. The mixture will turn basically into a playdough-looking ball but don't worry! Add the next half cup of milk and stir. Yes, playdough again. Keep adding the half and half until totally combined. By the end of your milk, it should start to look a bit more creamy.
5. Once totally mixed, you should have a thick and creamy looking mixture. No longer playdough! You can now mix in your broth slowly, still whisking. The creamy mixture will now take on a soup-like consistency.
6. Allow soup base to thicken over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring ever so often to keep the bottom from burning. Meanwhile, let's chop those veggies! Broccoli and carrots are up!
7. After 20 minutes, add your dry mustard, paprika, salt and pepper and stir in. Next, add the vegetables and the onion/garlic mixture.
8. Add 1 cup of your grated cheese to the soup and stir. The remaining half cup of cheese will be your garnish on top of the individual bowls.
9. Pour into bowls, garnish with cheese and sprinkle with a bit of cayenne pepper for some spice! Serve immediately.
If you are wondering about the bowls you see in our photos, they are an absolute favorite for serving soup in! Although you can't get the exact ones, you can find similar ones on Amazon here.
We love listening to a good audiobook while we are cooking for the family. If this is something you would like to try, we are giving away a FREE 30 day audible trial to our readers! And you are completely welcome to cancel before your 30 days is over! So try it, have a listen to whichever book your heart desires for free, on us :)
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Be sure to Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board for recipes!
Have a delicious day!
Comments will be approved before showing up.