THE BEST Hot Chocolate Bombs | Make Ahead Of The Company Coming!
Hot chocolate bombs are easy to make, taste so delicious and look beautiful. Homemade hot chocolate bombs are perfect for a chocolatey treat and we are going to share the BEST hot chocolate bomb recipe with you below.
Hot chocolate bombs are delicious chocolate treats that you add to a mug of hot milk. The heat slowly breaks the chocolate bomb down into a beautiful hot chocolate bomb drink.
Hot chocolate bombs are also great if you want to make them ahead of time so you are prepared for that unexpected company drops in. It's so nice when you have treats in the freezer, ready for whoever comes in the door?
You heard me right! I'm dropping a DIY hot chocolate bomb here you guys, let's make easy, delicious hot chocolate bombs!
The BEST Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are quite easy to make and are so delicious and chocolaty.
Here are some reasons hot chocolate bombs are the best:
- If you make these hot chocolate bombs ahead of time, when company comes in the door you can put some milk on the stove top and bring the hot chocolate bombs out on a plate and offer one to them to stir right into their cup.
- What I love about these hot chocolate bombs, is that you can make your hot chocolate as chocolatey as you want by adding one, two or three hot chocolate bombs to a mug!
- Hot chocolate bombs look soo beautiful presented on a plate and your company will love the look of them
- Hot chocolate bombs can also be enjoyed as a chocolate truffle
What Are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot chocolate bombs are truffle-like chocolate treats that are made ahead of time, can be kept in the fridge or freezer and then are brought out when wanted to add to hot milk or a milk substitute to make instant hot chocolate. Hot chocolate bombs are great to have on hand to make quick hot chocolate drinks and more can be added to a cup to increase the amount of chocolate in a cup of hot chocolate.
Hot chocolate bombs are easy to make, are great to make ahead of time and also make the best gifts to give to someone. Here is how to make hot chocolate bombs.
Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe: INGREDIENTS
*This makes approximately 12-20 hot chocolate bombs, depending on their size (and how often you "taste test" them) wink wink...
- 2 ¾ cup of milk chocolate chips (can substitute with dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips depending on your hot chocolate bomb preference!) *If you are doubling this recipe to make a lot of hot chocolate bombs, a 1kg bag of chocolate chips is double what this recipe is asking for.
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
What can you roll hot chocolate bombs in?
- chocolate cocoa powder
- crushed candy canes
- chocolate sprinkles
- icing sugar
- cookie sprinkles
Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe: DIRECTIONS
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan or pot, add all of the hot chocolate bomb ingredients except the finishing condiments
Turn stove to low and stir continuously until chocolate is melted and combined with the other hot chocolate bomb ingredients
Set the pot aside until it is cooled, then put into the fridge
Wait 2-3 hours or overnight so the chocolate can completely cool and solidify slightly
Scoop some chocolate out either with a small or medium cookie scoop (I like this one from Amazon because it is spring-loaded and you don't have to get your hands messy!) Otherwise, you can roll the hot chocolate bombs in your hands into chocolate balls, just be prepared for a bit of a melted chocolate mess
Fill a bowl with your finishing hot chocolate bomb condiment and roll hot chocolate bombs in it. This part is important because it helps your hot cocoa bombs not stick together in storage! I like to roll my hot chocolate bombs in Fry's cocoa powder
- If you plan on freezing your hot chocolate bombs, you can place them in well-spaced rows on a baking sheet and then put them into the freezer. Once frozen, you can transfer your hot chocolate bombs into ziplock bags. For more tips and fresh-keeping tricks, check out our article on how to keep your Christmas baking fresh! Alternatively, you can keep your hot chocolate bombs in the fridge in a ziplock bag ready to go if you plan on using them in the next few days
- To serve, place hot chocolate bombs on a small plate. You can stack them in a tower formation, or space them out to achieve the look you are going for. You can also get some really cute mini cupcake liners to serve them in so people can grab them easily to add to their drinks!
- When ready to serve: scald your milk by pouring into a pot and putting on the stove top on medium-high heat. Do not let it boil. As soon as you see steam rising and a few small bubbles around the edges of the milk, it is ready. Add 1-3 hot chocolate bombs to a mug, pour the milk on top and stir to dissolve!
Browse all personalized, handmade items you can find on Etsy HERE
FUN HOT CHOCOLATE BOMB TIPS
- Flavor your hot chocolate bombs any way you would like to! You can add 1 tsp of mint extract, coconut extract or any other kind of flavoring during the melting chocolate step (#2).
- When serving hot chocolate bombs, you can garnish chocolate appropriately as well. For example, maybe you want to roll the mint ones in green finishing sugar or crushed candy canes and serve on a plate with a mint leaf! Or roll the coconut ones in shredded coconut. The hot chocolate bomb serving ideas can be endless here!
These hot chocolate bombs also make fantastic homemade gifts. I know for myself, I am filling some glass jars with hot chocolate bombs and our own homemade marshmallows (another one of our recipes) and I will tie a pretty ribbon top for all the teachers at my daughter's school, as well as the people who work in my husband's office.
Homemade gifts are always so special to give and receive, and are great when you are on a budget! Plus, these hot chocolate bombs are just gorgeous.
FREE TRIAL FOR OUR READERS
We love listening to a good audiobook while we are cooking for the family. If this is something you would like to try, we are giving away a FREE 30 day audible trial to our readers! And you are completely welcome to cancel before your 30 days is over! So try it, have a listen to whichever book your heart desires for free, on us :)
If you loved reading this hot chocolate bomb recipe and you think you are going to try your hand at making them, we would appreciate it if you would Pin it on your Pinterest page! We'll leave a special Pin below just for you.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.