Bacon cheeseburgers are the all-American classic burger that everyone loves. It is no wonder why bacon cheeseburgers are so popular: that fresh, off the grill flavor of a homemade hamburger patty, topped with melted cheese and smothered in crisp bacon. The thought of taking a bite into that juicy hamburger with the cheese melting off would send anybody running to their grill. Just even thinking about it will make anyone's mouth water!
Let's get into the best bacon cheeseburger recipe. We will start by making our popular homemade hamburger patty recipe and share our best tips for making bacon for burgers, and then share which cheese makes the best cheeseburger.
1. Mince onion for bacon cheeseburger patties.
2. Finely mince garlic and put both the onion and garlic into a bowl together.
3. Blend the bacon cheeseburger patty mix by hand with the pork and beef until cheeseburger patty meat is well-blended with onion and garlic. You want those flavors to infuse well.
4. Add bacon cheeseburger patty spices: garlic powder, onion powder, onion soup mix, and salt and pepper (I just add by feel, about 1/4 tsp of each if you are looking for a measure) and ketchup.
5. Mix bacon cheeseburger meat blend by hand until well blended.
6. This step is optional: To infuse the flavors of your cheeseburger meat further, put some saran wrap or tinfoil over the bowl and put into the fridge for anywhere between 3-6 hours.
7. Take homemade cheeseburger meat out of the fridge and mix in the egg with the meat using your hands and blend thoroughly.
8. Add breadcrumbs to bacon cheeseburger mixture, about 3 tbsp. at a time and blend each time by hand until it no longer feels wet. You want to feel confident the hamburger meat will hold the shape of a homemade cheeseburger patty.
If you don't have breadcrumbs on hand, you can use crackers in your burger patties, just take about 10-20 crackers (I like soda crackers for doing this), place them in a ziplock bag and roll them with a rolling pin to crush them and add them to your cheeseburger patty meat.
9. Form into hamburger patties. Make the homemade hamburger patties large and flat in the middle because as they cook, they tend to shrink around the edges and plump up in the middle.
11. Put some saran wrap on your patties and put them in the fridge for about 10 minutes while you get your bacon out. We recommend using a thick sliced bacon for making bacon cheeseburgers with, because you really want that chewy texture and smoky flavor of the bacon when you bite into your homemade cheeseburger, but really, any bacon will do.
12. Turn your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This will make clean up much easier! Lay your bacon out evenly on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Try your best not to overlap, and put into the oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on preferred level of doneness.
13. Once your bacon is cooking, take out your hamburger patties and place them on the hot bbq grill.
Depending on your barbecue and how hot you like to have it, I would say it takes about 20-25 mins to cook these homemade hamburger patties, flipping once halfway.
You can be sure to check for burger doneness by using a meat thermometer.
*During the last 5 minutes of the hamburger patties cooking (and after you have flipped them over once) you will want to add your cheese so it has time to melt.
Besides cheddar cheese, there are a lot of different cheeses that are great to make a cheeseburger with:
Experiment with your personal, favorite cheese (or blends of favorite cheeses!) to see which cheese you prefer on your bacon cheeseburger. It is very difficult to go wrong with this bacon cheeseburger recipe, any cheese will be delicious.
When the cheese has melted and the cheeseburger patties are ready to be taken off the grill, this should be the perfect time for your bacon to come out of the oven.
Place your cheeseburgers on a plate and set aside while you take the bacon out of the oven. Place bacon on a paper towel to absorb that excesses bacon grease, and place two pieces on top of each bacon cheeseburger patty, and place into a hamburger bun.
Serve with your choice of lettuce, pickles, mustard, ketchup, relish, mayonnaise, bbq sauce or whatever toppings you love!
Voila! You have made the BEST bacon cheeseburger recipe!
Here is a video of the hamburger patty recipe to make this delicious bacon cheeseburger:
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. Be sure to Pin any photo from this post to your Pinterest board, or bookmark it so you are able to find it again. This is the best bacon cheeseburger recipe, you don't want to lose it!
Comments will be approved before showing up.